Guides and Tutorials
Once you've browsed Alfred's features in the Preferences, you can delve deeper into customising Alfred with these great guides and tutorials.
Look for Question Mark Icons: In every Preferences section, you'll find a question mark icon. Clicking it will take you to the help page for that particular feature.
Start Searching with Alfred
- Beginner's Guide to Searching your Mac and the Web with Alfred
- How to Get the Results You Want In Alfred Every Time
- Setting up Custom Searches
- Changing your Fallback Searches
- Using File Filters to search efficiently
- Searching with wildcards
- Use macOS Tags to search more efficiently
Creating and Using Workflows
Discovering Workflows? You'll find Getting Started guides and examples in Alfred's Workflows preferences. Click the [+] at the bottom of the sidebar and select Getting Started guides to see workflows in action.
A few simple guides to help you get started:
- Creating a Hotkey Workflow
- Organising your Workflows
- Exporting and Sharing Workflows
- Adding alternative actions in workflows
- Using Built-In Examples and Templates
These slightly more advanced guides will help you make the most of workflows:
- Syncing your Alfred Settings
- Using Clipboard History
- Using Snippets and Text Expansion
- Using Snippet Triggers with Dynamic Input Fields
Using Alfred Remote for iOS
- Setting up Remote for the first time
- Adding Remote Actions to your Workflows
- Creating a Workflow Remote page
Tips & Tricks
In Alfred, type "?hotkeys", "?keywords" or the question mark followed by the name of a feature, workflow, snippet, custom search, etc to bring up the relevant results.
Take a look at the Alfred Cheatsheet to see a list of all the default hotkeys, keywords and shortcuts you can use.
Here are a few of our favourite tips and tricks:
- Perform File Actions Easily from Alfred or Finder
- View your Recent Query History
- Manipulating Selected Text in macOS with Alfred Workflows
- Action Modifiers: Be clever with quick alternative actions
- Make Noise with the Free Alfred Sound Bank: A package of 32 sounds to use in Alfred or on your Mac
You'll also find Tips and Tricks on the Alfred blog! :)